It was a wet ride, I'll tell you that much! They gave us these ponchos, and we were the lucky few that arrived with our clothes mostly dry. These ponchose alone are enough to show you, mom, that this trip would not be good for you! Just wait until you see the hike we took and then you'll be absolutely sure that you didn't miss anything today that you would have liked to do.
The Skellig islands are 2 island about 15 km off the west coast. The smaller of the two Skelligs, aptly named "little Skellig" is a bird sanctuary where we could not land, but we rode past, scared some birds (well, the boat scared the birds- we were respectful, promise!) and took some pictures. Here it is:
After our bird sanctuary experience, we continued our trek about 10 minutes to Big Skellig, or Michael Skellig (why it is called that I haven't a clue). Michael Skellig is home to more of the gull-type birds, but also the home to the incredible Puffins, which are famous for their multi-colored beaks.
Now, Michael Skellig's highest peak is more than 715 feet above sea level, and there are about 650 steps to the verrrry tippy top. At least, that's when I stopped counting.
This is me and Heather about halfway up-- a pretty good place to stop and have a look around. And maybe give up, like the woman in the blue vest had done.
In case it's hard to tell how ginormous Michael Skellig is, here is a picture on our way out afterward. See that very top little tip? Imagine us there, doing the Rocky dance for like, 2 hours.
On our way back down, we saw these two Puffins having a discussion, and as Ian, who researched the Puffin, will tell you, they sound like an empty stomach when they talk- I wonder if that means they were arguing, or joking around?
At the end of the day, what does a true Irish(wo)man do but throw back a pint of St. James's Gate (or Guinness, as we Yanks call it)? It's like St. Patrick's Day every day over here!!
If you're sad that the blog is over, just come on back in 20 minutes or so and the one from today will be posted, too!! So glad that blogger is behaving nicely again (c:
Hey, I made the blog! So yes, Heather, I'm very proud of all your walking, hiking, and climbing. You get to pass on the lunges for awhile. Though I must remind you that you're the one that makes me do lunges, not the other way around. You'll have to ask Gabbi how she's doing with her lunges.
ReplyDeleteSounds like you guys are having a great time! The pictures are amazing!
Hi Heather and Katherine!
ReplyDeleteOnce again I'm trying to use the blogosphere to post a comment...so if it goes remember the saying..."Even a blind hog finds an acorn once in a while"...Anyway, I'm really enjoying the blogs...I have been greatly humored at bith your descriptions and gtreat fun. Keep 'em comming lasses!Love you,
Dad
XOXO
Well how about that! I found the acorn! Typos and all! bith s/b both....gtreat s/b great...and lasses s/b lasses which is Irish for young ladies (I guess, anyway). All is going well here, and I still wish I was there. What greatpictures of views you have been sharing...and the birds you photographed from two feet away should make for interesting stories and potential jokes from you two and Ian. Love you both!
ReplyDeleteDad
XOXO