Sunday, February 14, 2010

How do I fit all of the amazing-ness of Nashville into one blog post??

What is worth a 9 hour drive each way, slippery back roads, and sheer exhaustion? The short answer, an October weekend in Nashville with my friend Greg, his amazing family, and our incredible experiences.

Unfortunately, you are going to have to use your imagination for the experiences for the most part... because Greg was our photographer and he posted the pictures and then I failed to save them and he took them down to save space and the short of the long of it is, the only picture I can access... is a picture of us and a bunch of strangers at the Jack Daniel's distillery in Lynchburg, TN (figures!)

When I arrived in Nashville, our first order of business was to go pick up Greg's parents from the airport (they had been in Italy, lucky sods!), and go out to dinner/margaritas (mostly margaritas) from this incredible Mexican restaurant.

After some delicious daiquiris, Greg, his brother, Will, and I decided to go to DT Nashville for a honky-tonk crawl (sounds like a good country song!), where we danced, sang, rode a mechanical bull, and posed with Elvis statues (time for that imagination to kick in, readers!) Then we went down near the water, where I tried on Will's cowboy boots, strutted my stuff, and got piggy-back rides like whoa. The night ended at Waffle House, as so many of the finest do.

The next day, after some phenomenal pumpkin pancakes and pumpkin frappuccinos and pumpkin ice cream and pumpkin.. well, you get the idea... we headed to Lynchburg for the world championship of bbq (who even knew there was such a thing?). We had such a blast, and ate EVERYTHING-- bbq, coleslaw, jugs of sweet tea, deep fried oreos, homemade ice cream... god I am gonna get a coronary just remembering all of that food! We even sat in on an auction where a cake sold for 80 bucks and rode my second mechanical bull of the weekend. The videos of which you will neeeever see.

Here we are at the Jack Daniel's distillery:



That night, Greg's dad cooked us this incredible Italian meal. How could I have possibly eaten any more? Sheer willpower. I am moving in. I mean, Greg has moved out now so I am SURE that his lovely family would just love it if I did...Afterward, we went to see Paranormal Activity with his friend, Jenny, from high school, and her current roommate. Lame movie, but really nice to see Jenny again after occasional trips to Tech. Then we went to a Nashville bar, played darts (well, I...participated. Sort of.), and ended the night with more pumpkin ice cream. Would you believe me if I told you that I lost 3 pounds on this trip? Yeah no seriously.

On Sunday, we had really, really fabulous intentions of waking up and going to church. Instead we decided to go kayaking and boating on what was one of the most gorgeous days I can remember. The lake that Greg's family lives on was perfectly blue, the trees were all golden and autmny-, and the sky was SO blue, not a cloud to be found. There might be a feeling better than being out on the water on a day like that, but if there is I don't think I could handle it at this point.

Sunday afternoon found us relaxing, cowboy boots shopping (Greg's mom was successful, I was not!) and then the three of us went with Will to a restaurant called Cock of the Walk, which is basically just fried everything... and was delicious. And they give you as much as you want! And they serve the sweet tea in tin cups! Yummmm!

Afterward, we rented The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and decided to lay low for the evening, due to my departure time of 5 AM the following day. Which I actually made it up in time for. Begrudgingly.

Next trip to Nashville, I plan on eating more (it's like that town's fried stuff has negative calories, I swear), going flying (ahem Gregory!), and going on the Nash-Trash Tour . And riding some more mechanical bulls.

No comments:

Post a Comment